Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Your Last Moments: One Chance

Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted; One moment.
Would you capture it or just let it slip?” - Eminem “Lose Yourself”

I discovered this Newgrounds flash game named 'One Chance' from Ars Technica, and I was instantly ingrigued by the fact that you were limited by time in a world rapidly dying. Naturally I needed to play this myself.
Right away I knew it was something special: a wonderful selection for the over-all mood-setting audio that would be heard throughout the game, wonderful throw-back graphics to classic computer adventure games, and on your very first day, youre the savior of the planet.. It felt wonderful.

Starting out in my bedroom for the day, I walked about a bit confused. The controls are simple enough (arrow keys and space bar) but what was my goal here. So I went to work after talking to my wife and daughter. And we celebrated. Then everything would be dead in 5 days. “Wait... What?” I wasted(?) a day at the bar. From then on I decided on a different idea: Actually try and save the world.

I will no longer talk about my gameplay of this simple yet powerful game, as it NEEDS to be experianced by the inidividual on their own, but I will say that for being so simple a game in it's graphics, music, characters, and story, that I felt helpless, hopeless, and heartbroken.

And I wanted to play again, but all i get is me. Helpless and hopeless. And alone.

A game this simple is fantastic because you are forced to deal with your choices you make. Given six in game days until the world ends doesnt sound very compelling, but when you have no idea what youre actions could or could not achive, it makes you think about what is important to you in life, and what SHOULD be important to you. Final days or otherwise.

How will YOU spend your last six days? Find out Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment